In Your Language

Thursday, May 22, 2014

DIY Therapy



Photo Credit: www.nendo.jp

How to be your own S.H.R.I.N.K.

 

Disclaimer: I'm not a trained psychologist, psychiatrist, counselor or the like. I am a mother, student and deep thinker. I'm basing this on my own personal growth in preparation for becoming a counselor in the future. This is my personal encouragement to you. If you have need beyond what you can do for yourself, please do not use this post in place of trained and licensed therapy. I still go to counseling, there is no shame in that and my family likes me better because of it. =)


[S]  Seek Different Perspectives 

By the time we are in a marriage or career, it is pretty hard to be socially successful and be stuck in our own perspective. Seeking different perspectives will come in handy in the event of a conflict. If we consistently seek different perspectives, then it won't be such a challenge during those instances of elevated nerves. YKWIM?

[H] Honor Yourself

Honor your personal journey with its highs and lows. Try to learn from the mistakes and see value in them for the lessons instead of looking at them in shame. Also, try to step back and see that other people might have done similar things if they were in your situation. For example: If anybody else were in my position (having a history of X), then they might have done the same thing. When we accept our mistakes, it makes it easier to accept ourselves as a whole. We want to be whole people, right?

[R] Reflect

Reflect on your choices and experiences regularly. Put judgement on the shelf as you look over your recent choices. What worked and what didn't pan out as you'd expected. Any surprises? Did you learn anything worthy of repeating? Is there anything you should make extinct (as in behaviors)? As long as we make adjustments, we do not have to stay in judgement phase.


[I] Intention

Intentionally do therapeutic things for your mental and spiritual health. Many times journaling, blogging and other creative outlets can help us regulate our mind and body as well as decrease our stress. If this is new to you, ask yourself this question: "If I don't do "X", then I will feel on edge." For me, my "X" is writing. And if I don't get to write, then I need to talk to someone.  

[N] Navigate Through Storms

There are certain challenges that are worth going through. Outside of normal blunders like feeling tired because you closed out the bar, is not a necessary "storm" to weather. Many of these storms can help us with future challenges and also give us a passion in life. Overcoming is the best high and helps us feel efficacy in our personal skills.

[K] Kind 

Be kind to others. Find meaning in doing things that benefit others. The "problem" with altruism is that people dispute whether or not they can do something kind without having some sort of personal intrinsic reward. They disagree whether it is possible to do something that only benefits the other person. I call this a good "problem."


 ~> Take Away <~

[S]  Seek Different Perspectives 

                               [H] Honor Yourself

                               [R] Reflect

                               [I] Intention

                               [N] Navigate Through Storms

                               [K] Kind

 

You can be your own S.H.R.I.N.K. =)



#diy #noinsurancenecessary 

 photo 0b596c19-7bb3-4256-89d4-2ff3932da329_zpse9b1cc3f.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Here I am Again

Mouse Clicks