In Your Language

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

It's not enough to say your anti-abortion...

Photo Credit: RedPillReport.files.wordpress.com

For me, I find it hard to swallow that people could say such sweeping things as they are against abortion. I think they forget to consider the other parts of this controversial "argument." First of all, how can we separate abortion from murder? If we are against abortion-- are we FOR adoption... FOR single mothers to raise their children... for people who are unprepared to be parents to parent their unexpected bundle of upheaval?

If you are anti-abortion, are you FOR people passing along the buck and giving the responsibility over to a complete stranger? If you are anti-abortion, are you willing to help charities or the single unwed mothers in your communities? Are you going to walk the big talk? Would you put your money where your mouth is? (insert your own cliche')

Let's face it, there are plenty of people out there who have no parenting sensibilities. I'm sure you've met a few. So do you say "Hey! So glad you didn't have an abortion so you can validate being a bad parent?" Of course not. But the truth is, there are many people out there who don't do parenting justice. That's not even speaking of the parents who walk out of their kids' lives.

All of that to say, it's not even our place to project such attitudes towards other people's lives. The proof is in the pudding. If I had my influence on regulating parenthood I would target the fertility of a society. I would make potential parents (people of child bearing age) get a parenting license to screen their frame of mind and compatibility with all the demands of parenting. With regulated fertility, people might not take for granted that they have been so blessed by their children. It took me a long time to conceive-- and I don't take it for granted (though it would be easy to fall into that trap).

But let's get real. I'm never going to have that sort of influence and I was exaggerating a bit. I just wanted to bring to light that  people make their choices and live with the consequences of THEIR choices, good or bad. They don't need society giving them shoulds and shouldn'ts if society doesn't take a concerted interest (willingness to help) in those "shoulds and shouldn'ts." Just like the recent infographic circulated by pro same-sex marriage activists saying that same sex marriage hasn't harmed your (our) opposite sex marriage. The only people that an abortion harms are the pregnant woman, her unborn child and the "sperm donor" to put it crassly.

We all have our skeletons because we are miserable failures at resisting our sin nature. To judge each other and rate our sins is beside the point. We are all fallen and fallible creatures. My mistakes are not yours and you have your own lot of mistakes. At the end of the day, it's between the Creator (God in my eyes), mother, father and unborn child. We need to do less demonizing and more ministering to each other... even to the people who have decided not to parent at a certain juncture of their life.

***************************************************************************

I pray that people extend grace and mental charity to each other. I pray that God breaks our heart for what breaks his... and for the people we so easily judge. Let's be redeemers and bringers of Light. It is never too late to repent of our sinful ways. I also pray that we would have loved ones be loving enough to not enable our sinful ways. Sinning hurts us more than the social discomfort of accountability. Most importantly, I pray that we grow a deep relationship with God (as you understand him) so that we may every day become a better version of ourselves through his strength and example.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Here I am Again

Mouse Clicks